Friday, August 16, 2024

Helaman 7:7-9 -- On Sorrow and Purpose

"Oh, that I could have had my days in the days when my father Nephi first came out of the land of Jerusalem, that I could have joyed with him in the promised land; then were his people easy to be entreated, firm to keep the commandments of God, and slow to be led to do iniquity; and they were quick to hearken unto the words of the Lord— Yea, if my days could have been in those days, then would my soul have had joy in the righteousness of my brethren. But behold, I am consigned that these are my days, and that my soul shall be filled with sorrow because of this the wickedness of my brethren."
Helaman 7:7-9


I like that God gives us some insight here into the wishes and emotions of this prophet Nephi (son of Helaman). I think that we all have times when the wickedness of the world seems overwhelming and it can sometimes seem that evil is winning. It's easy to think that we would be better off in a different time or space.

If we continue reading in this chapter though, we see that this man was in exactly the right time and place to do the Lord's work and to convince others of the truth. Similarly, we are all well-placed by God and in positions where we can help.

Today, let's look around and see what God has prepared for us, and work with him to discover why we are in exactly the right place to do his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews