Wednesday, August 21, 2024

3 Nephi 3:9-10 -- On Deceiving Ourselves, and Learning to Love

"And behold, I am Giddianhi; and I am the governor of this the secret society of Gadianton; which society and the works thereof I know to be good; and they are of ancient date and they have been handed down unto us.
And I write this epistle unto you, Lachoneus, and I hope that ye will deliver up your lands and your possessions, without the shedding of blood, that this my people may recover their rights and government, who have dissented away from you because of your wickedness in retaining from them their rights of government, and except ye do this, I will avenge their wrongs. I am Giddianhi."
3 Nephi 3:9-10


It's kind of creepy reading about the leader of the Gadianton Robbers saying that his society is "good" and that their cause is just, etc. It's scary a little because he is honestly trying to bully people into giving up everything they have, but moreso I think if he believes any part of it, because it shows how easy it is to talk ourselves into thinking insane things, like killing other people is A-OK or that hurting and stealing from others is a good thing if you can get away with it.

Today, let's listen to God and remember that we're all his children, and worthy of kindness. Let's value other people's lives and help others rather than hurting them or taking advantage of their weaknesses. And if we're having a hard time with valuing others, or a group of others, let's talk to God about it. He loves them, and he can teach us how.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews