Sunday, March 11, 2001

Psalms 9:18-20

"For the needy shall not alway be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever.
Arise, O Lord; let not man prevail: let the heathen be judged in thy sight.
Put them in fear, O Lord: that the nations may know themselves to be but men. Selah."
Psalms 9:18-20


Selah indeed. :)  This is very interesting.  A lot of things running through my head today... I gave a talk in church, I was very nervous.  This was one of the scriptures that I used.  I talked about becoming a Zion community.  I think I used too many scriptures, and didn't draw the audience in with enough personal experiences.  Ah well, perhaps next time... :)  And then a couple of people came over tonight, and I wonder sometimes if I even know how to talk to people. ... I mean, the conversations were good, and this last one was even hilarious in several spots... but then I was left with... and this isn't just tonight, but in general lately... this sense of so much remaining unsaid.  Now, is that just normal, everyday, self-protection; or pure doublethink?  (Santa tries to hide it by calling it "checking it twice," but WE know the truth...) :)  And here is yet another reason that it is so good to know that we are "but men" (women too). :)  We (I hope I am not the only one) over think things all the time... we twist and dramatize things sometimes until we don't know what is real and what isn't, and whether that was an answer to prayer or the invention of our minds.  This is probably one of the reasons God says "Be still, and know that I am God."  Just knowing doesn't do the job... we have to calm down a little too. :)  Anyway, on to the main message of the scripture... because we are "but men" ... if we can recognize that, then it is a lot easier to see that God is in charge, and the inequities and seemingly unavoidable evils of life will someday be gone.  There will be no more classes, with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer... because even when we forget them, God does not.  He will remember all people, and help them and comfort them... if not through us, now, then despite us in the future.  We are but men.  If we could just take a second to remember that sometimes... to try to see things from God's perspective, and stop the useless rebellion... getting angry about things just because we aren't in control.  If we *had* been in control of our lives, even only up to this point in them... would we ever have made it to where we are?  If we look seriously at them, I think that we will see that the Lord has done a pretty amazing job so far.  He will remember all of the poor and needy... including us.  Even if we aren't financial beggars today, we are probably spiritual ones now and then.  God doesn't forget anyone.  We are but men.  Let's look unto God for our deliverance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews