Wednesday, March 21, 2001

3 Nephi 13:7-8

"But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen, for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Be not ye therefore like unto them, for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of before ye ask him."
3 Nephi 13:7-8


This scripture struck me today... yesterday I went to a funeral where they read prayers out of a book.  I’m sure it is just because I am not used to it, but it seemed weird to me.  I don't think that they were vain repetitions, because many of the people really meant what the prayers said... and when you pray from your heart, God listens to you.  It just seems like praying from your heart would be harder if you are reading it out of a book... or if you keep repeating the same thing over and over again.  God knows what we need, and what the deepest desires of our heart are... he just wants us to talk to him, to find out what those things are too... for us to include him in our lives.  I think sincerity, rather than wordiness, is the key to getting God's attention. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews