Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Matthew 10:29-31 -- On Our Value to God

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.
But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows."
Matthew 10:29-31


I think that we underestimate how involved God is in our lives... and in everything.  If he pays attention to every sparrow, then he is definitely not ignoring us.  And if the very hairs of our head are all numbered... that's definitely more involved and caring about our lives than even we are.  My hair falls out all the time... gets tangled in the vacuum cleaner sometimes.  I don't much care about it.  But God does.  And so I know that if my body dies and my hair and everything is lost, God will know how to restore it... perfectly... in the resurrection.  I don't know my body that well, but he will.  And I think that is true of a lot of things in our lives.  We don't always know ourselves or our emotions well.  We don't always understand why we react a certain way or why we do what we do... but God does. 

Later in this chapter it also says "He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it."  I think sometimes the more we try to understand ourselves, the more lost we get.  But as we try to understand God, and follow him, and trust him, the more we really understand ourselves and what we truly are, without forcing it or latching on to this or that external label of who we should be.  God knows us, all the way through, down to numbering the hairs of our heads.  Today, let's trust him with ourselves.  No more fighting with him about who we are... instead, let's listen, and learn, and become more than we could ever be alone.  We are more valuable to him than we can comprehend.  He isn't going to get it wrong; I promise.

3 comments:

Total Pageviews