Friday, April 12, 2013

1 Nephi 8:10-12

"And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.
And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted.  Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.
And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit."
1 Nephi 8:10-12


I've written about these verses before, but wanted to again today because they reminded me how precious God's love is in our lives.  I think that we all experience to one degree or another what Lehi experienced in this dream.  We find ourselves walking in darkness, and it is sad and desolate and we feel lost and incomplete.  And we're desperate to find a way to happiness and wholeness.  And in those moments, if we ask, God shows us the way out.  In Lehi's dream, it is represented by a tree, and in our lives we see it different ways, but it is always the way to God.  The way to wholeness, and happiness, and peace.  Later in the dream we see a lot of other things... people refusing to come, people being ashamed after they do come, and wandering back into the darkness... but here, in this moment, Lehi tastes the fruit and knows that it is the best thing that he has ever had, and he wants to share it with everyone, because it is that good. :)  ... That's the moment to remember.  Back before we start doubting and double-thinking, before we start listening to other people telling us how stupid we are for being religious... before we start thinking that we know best again. :)  That moment where we were broken and God picked us back up and put us back together... better than we were before.
God can make everything better, and happier, and fill all the cracks, and heal our hearts.  Tasting what he offers to us is better than anything that we could ever think up for ourselves.  What he can make of us is better than anything that we could ever be alone.  Today, let's remember the sweetness and perfection of what he offers us, and let's run to him, and never leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews