Thursday, April 25, 2013

Exodus 20:17

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's."
Exodus 20:17


So, one of the ten commandments today.  To covet something is to want something inordinately... so much so that you could be willing to commit sin to have it.  The saying "I would kill to have that" takes on a whole new meaning in that context, eh?  I think that we all want different things in life.  Three wishes, a b'zillion dollars, perfect health, nice car, maybe some adulation or fame, mansion, private island, family, top of the line computer, power, whatever. :)  Hopefully we also want a good relationship with God, to be better people, to be truly good, etc.  The problem doesn't come in just wanting those things.  I'd really like to have a donut right now.  The problem comes when I want something so much that it displaces other things in my life.  Do I want that donut more than I want God in my life?  Am I willing to steal it, or to cheat a little kid to get it?  Will I bankrupt myself because I am obsessed with donuts and I need more and more and more of them, even when they are just piling up and are more than I could possibly eat in a lifetime?  When the object is donuts, it sounds pretty silly... but when it is whatever our obsession is, we stop thinking it is silly and we start to justify it. :) We argue that we really NEED the house or the shoes or the LEGOs, the extra-marital relationship, the alternative lifestyle, the money.  The drugs make us feel good, the food gives comfort, the whatever it is is important in whatever way because after all, Joe-Bob next door, or at work, or on television has it.  Not fair.  We need it too. :)  All of these things, and more, are so easy to let get out of proportion.  What are we really willing to do for the grade, or the promotion?  For the raise, for the part, for the job?  And here, God warns us.  He's already told us not to do those other more active sins like stealing and adultery.  And this is one of the ways how.  Don't let those desires get out of control.  Don't let them control us and what we choose to do.  Today, let's listen.  Let's work on being satisfied and happy in the lives that we have, and being grateful for the blessings that we are given, rather than lusting after someone else's life.  Let's ask God for what we need, but never displace him and his central role in our lives with the desire for something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews