Sunday, April 14, 2013

John 10:14-16 -- On One Fold

"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd."
John 10:14-16


This is the end of a parable that Jesus tells in this chapter.  It starts out talking about the difference between a hired servant and a shepherd... that the sheep don't recognize the voice of a servant, and also that a hireling will run away when he sees he is in danger, but that a shepherd will give his life for his sheep.

In these verses Christ explains that he is the good shepherd in the story.  He knows us, and we know him... we recognize his voice when he talks to us through the spirit.  And Christ didn't run away when he was in danger, but he gave his life for us.  And he continued his work, and visited other people, and we are all his fold, and under his care.  

... I'm not sure that being compared to sheep is very flattering, but in other parables we are compared to olive trees and in other verses we are chickens, or compared unfavorably to dust... so, you know. :)  Any analogy can be taken too far, but the point here is that God has never been a stranger to us.  We know him from before this life, and when we encounter his spirit here, we recognize it.  And because of that relationship that we have with him, because we are (voluntarily) his... he gave his life for us.  He also regained his life for us, and made new life possible for all of us.  And he gathers us together as a fold, or a church... where we can work towards perfection together.  

Today, let's listen to and remember God's voice.  And then let's work on being united.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews