Wednesday, August 23, 2000

1 Corinthians 6:7

"Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another.  Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?"
1 Corinthians 6:7


Wow, this scripture was so interesting.  I was considering a different scripture on the same page, but this one kind of jumped out and I had to use it... so, let's talk.  One of the worst things for me is if I feel like someone is taking advantage of my ignorance.  Like the other day I bought 4 brand new tires for my car... :)  Probably didn't *really* need them, but the guy said they were really beat up . . . you know the story.  So, afterward I was really sensitive to people's comments, worried that I had been "ripped off."  One of my friends at work recently wrote a letter to the Better Business Bureau about a _new_ car she just bought, where they removed some of the "extras" from the car, but left them on the sticker and charged her for them.  I don't know how many Court shows are on TV, but there are a bunch.  And people sue each other left and right.  That's icky, but are we supposed to let people get away with ripping us off?  I think that this scripture is saying yes.  So, I am thinking about it, and I can't imagine that this would be true in *every* case.  I mean... domestic violence is scary, and you should NEVER put up with the mistreatment of children.  However... I do think that if we took this scripture to heart, let go of some of the pride... how much less crowded would our courts be?  Even if the guy at the tire shop lied to me bold-face, and I could prove it in court... I can afford the tires, and it's okay.  Think about what our doubt and fear of others does to *us* ... it makes us mistrustful of others, it encourages us to assume people are guilty until proven innocent.  Another friend at work told us that she knows an "honest" mechanic, and it was surprising to us... that's an oxymoron in our society.  It turns us into an us against "them" mode... assuming that all politicians are crooked, all car salesmen are liars... we could go farther into ethnic slurs and gender assumptions.  Perhaps it is better to be vulnerable to some lying, some cheating, some theft... so that we can see people in the best light.  When we come across people who take advantage of this... in many cases, we could let it go.  They are going to have to deal with God too... and even pray for them.  I think they could use all the help they can get.  Also, it's another thing about inclusion and exclusion.  Even people who cheat us are our brothers and sisters.  If my brother stole $200 from me, I'd let him have it... he probably needs it. :) And I'd pray for him, that he would just ask for it the next time, and not feel like he needs to take.  But if a drunk guy on the street took $200 from me, what would I do?  Would I do differently?  He is my brother too.  Maybe we need it pounded into our head that we aren't separate from "those people" ... that every time we interact with anyone, that person is a member of our family... and should be treated as such.  If you would talk something out with your brother or nephew, why call the cops on someone just because it isn't a member of your family?  Are there alternative ways to resolve things, even though they are more difficult?  I obviously don't know all the answers, but something to think about on this fine morning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews