Wednesday, May 16, 2001

Psalms 81:11-13

"But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.
So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.
Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!"
Psalms 81:11-13


My friend Jen and I were talking about free agency the other day, and why God has to let people make really bad mistakes.  Jen said that she has to let her son make mistakes sometimes so that he will learn.  If her son throws something on the floor, she has to let him learn that it is gone, and not keep picking it up for him.  I can see that... and I can see also that God has to let us find out for ourselves what we lose when we throw him away... but it must be hard for him to watch us make really painful decisions.  This scripture describes choices that we make every day... and God laments at the end, because he wants his children to be happy... and he has so much in store for us, if we will just listen to him.  But it has to be chosen freely.  A gift isn't a gift if you have to force someone to take it.  today, let's try to remember that we are children, and that, even if we don't understand why, God knows the way to happiness so much better than we do.  We can make more of our lives when we collaborate with God than if we walk alone, after our own counsel.  Let's follow him and find out all the cool things that God has in store. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews