Thursday, September 14, 2023

John 15:4-5 -- On Abiding in Christ

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."
John 15:4-5


The idea that we can't do anything without Christ is an interesting one that many would dispute, but perhaps we all feel the truth of it at times when we try to live without God in the world, and notice that without God's help, our efforts so often fall flat or are unsatisfying on a deep level.

To me, it seems like the same thing that we are asked to do when we pray always, or walk with God, or keep the Spirit with us. The idea is constant connection. God is the energy source, and we are his lights, but without his power, we don't shine the way we should... perhaps some flickering, but it's just residual battery power and we don't have a way to recharge without him.

Today, let's remember that we need God... that everything is better with him, and let's establish and strengthen that connection rather than uselessly fighting against the source of our power. Let's draw on that power instead to do God's work and to make the world better and the people around us happier. Let's trust God to always do good, and join with him in his righteous purposes, to bring us all back to him and to joy and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews