Friday, July 29, 2022

3 Nephi 5:12-17 -- On Being a Disciple of Christ

"And behold, I am called Mormon, being called after the land of Mormon, the land in which Alma did establish the church among the people, yea, the first church which was established among them after their transgression.
Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.
And it hath become expedient that I, according to the will of God, that the prayers of those who have gone hence, who were the holy ones, should be fulfilled according to their faith, should make a record of these things which have been done—
Yea, a small record of that which hath taken place from the time that Lehi left Jerusalem, even down until the present time.
Therefore I do make my record from the accounts which have been given by those who were before me, until the commencement of my day;
And then I do make a record of the things which I have seen with mine own eyes."
3 Nephi 5:12-17


I like this because it explains why it is called the Book of Mormon in the first place. He compiled it from many records that had been written over the years, and then added his own part. I also love that when he introduces himself, he doesn't say something about his profession, his place in society, or even give us any background about his family at this point. The most important thing to him, and to us, is that he is a disciple of Christ. That is something to aspire to. We are a lot of things to a lot of people, but that should be top of the list, the most important thing in our lives. Today, let's work on making it that way, and finding ways to serve God in everything that we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews