Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Alma 29:3-4 -- On Power and Choice

"But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me.
I ought not to harrow up in my desires the firm decree of a just God, for I know that he granteth unto men according to their desire, whether it be unto death or unto life; yea, I know that he allotteth unto men, yea, decreeth unto them decrees which are unalterable, according to their wills, whether they be unto salvation or unto destruction."
Alma 29:3-4


Before this, Alma wishes that he could be an angel and "cry repentance unto every creature" (Alma 29:1), and I think we all feel like that sometimes. We have the desire to do something, and we want to be amazing and dramatic and affect everyone. Often though what we need isn't a greater reach, but a better connection to God, and a recognition of the power we already have to help and to lift.

Today, let's focus on what we have, and remember that God can grant us a portion of his power with which to do good. Let's take the chance to help others and to be a force for good in the world, helping people see the good and recognize it, so they can make better, more informed choices in their lives and not believe they have a choice between evils, or that things are hopeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews