Saturday, February 17, 2001

Doctrine and Covenants 84:43-44

"And I now give unto a commandment to beware concerning yourselves, to give diligent heed to the words of eternal life.
For you shall live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God."
Doctrine and Covenants 84:43-44


I was talking with a good friend this morning about a lot of things, and one thing that came up is the promptings of the Spirit.  She was telling me that once she was on the way to work, and the Spirit whispered to her that she should go back home.  She had a hard time believing that the Spirit would try and get her to do something so irresponsible. :)  And, it turned out that something really cool happened because she was listening that day.   Similar things have happened to me at times too... once the Spirit told me to stop at a gas station.  I checked my tank... over half full, and I was late already... but I stopped and filled up my car anyway.  As I was screwing the gas cap back on, someone touched my shoulder and I ran into someone that I knew from my ward... and we had a really good talk, and I know that it was the right thing to do.  Not that I always listen... but every time I do, miraculous things happen... and so I try to listen more and more.  We also talked this morning about the stunning things that happen in life... meeting people that you *know* that you have met before... except, you haven't.  the bizarre "coincidences" that happen to us all the time... running into just the right person in just the right place.  Every close friend that I have ever had... I think back on how it happened, and it's just one string of bizarre things after another.  ...saying things that I would never say normally... meeting someone that I would never have met if *another* bizarre string of events hadn't taken place.  but somehow... all the connections are made, and here we are.  And how arrogant are we if we can't see God's hand in all of that?  How ungrateful and silly. :)  It's when we stop trying to control things, and leave it up to God that we encounter all the most bright and shining pieces of our lives' puzzles.  things that we couldn't dream up for ourselves... people who are more amazing than we could ever have hoped to meet.  Things like that don't happen by chance... they happen by God.  So, today... let's watch out for the spin we try to put on life.  We make things way too complicated for ourselves sometimes.  listen to what God is saying, and try to do it... a little bit at a time.  And, eventually, the better we learn to listen, and the better we get at following directions... the better and stronger and brighter we will grow, until we grow up into our true selves... destined to piece together the puzzles of the universe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews