Monday, February 12, 2001

Doctrine and Covenants 18:18

"Ask the Father in my name, in faith believing that you shall receive. and you shall have the Holy Ghost, which manifesteth all things which are expedient unto the children of men."
Doctrine and Covenants 18:18


This is a good reminder to ask.  There are so many things in the world that we can't understand and don't really know what to do with... so many things even within ourselves that we don't understand.  Since we know more than other people about certain subjects, like ourselves, we consider ourselves experts, and rely upon our own judgement and knowledge to make decisions.  Unfortunately, we are not experts about ourselves, or any other subject.  We are children, and we lack wisdom.  The sooner we realize that, the sooner we can attempt to get over ourselves and ask our father for some help. :)  God knows how to solve our current and future problems.  So, it might do some good to listen to him. :)  You know, the Holy Ghost is difficult to listen to sometimes.  If your mind is anything like mine (and actually I hope for your sake that it isn't) there are thousands of things swirling around in there all the time... picking one thing out of the maelstrom to focus on is hard.  and, relying on emotion... that is hard in our society, where "evidence" is so highly valued.  But our hearts are an integral part of who we are... who God made us.  And he will tell you in your mind AND in your heart, the things that are right.  The Stake President over my Stake challenged us yesterday to take a few minutes every day for meditation...  And I think that is a very wise thing.  When we can take a few minutes out of our day to stop, chill for a minute, and seek guidance from the Spirit... we are thousands of times more likely to hear answers to our questions... and to remember to ask them.  And I know another thing that I need to remember is that I am not telling God what to do in my life... I am asking him what I should do, where I should go... and if I approach him without the demands that usually attend our communication, I am very often pleasantly surprised.  The things that God wants for me are SO much better than the things that I wanted for myself.  So, today... let's stop for a few minutes and listen to what God has to say.  Let's ask for what we need, and trust the Holy Ghost to communicate with us throughout the day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews