Sunday, February 18, 2001

1 Timothy 4:12-15

"Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that they profiting may appear to all."
1 Timothy 4:12-15


These verses really hit me today, hard.  Probably because I need to be better at this, but also just because it has been on my mind.  I've mentioned before that I think that the scriptures are all about the power of the individual to change the world.  And that is what I see here as well:  our power, as individuals... to change the lives of the people around us.  So often we get caught up in our personal tragedy so much that we neglect that power, and neglect that gift that we have to influence the world, and specifically the worlds of the people around us, for good.  Think about your life, about the ups and the downs, the dangers and the last-minute rescues.  There are individuals that stand out... people that came into our lives at the exact right moment to change everything.  None of it is coincidence.
Sometimes, I know, it is difficult to see how important we are in the world.  We look in the mirror and see ... nothing that we want to see.  We compare ourselves to others, and think... I could never do that, I could never *be* that.  However... God isn't asking us to be anyone else.  he isn't asking us to become anything that we can't be.  We all have this amazing power of individuality.  There are people out there in the world that only we can touch... only we can motivate, help... lift.  No-one one else has the power and opportunities that we do.  There are people in my life... if it hadn't been for them being in the right place at the right time, saying the right thing... my life would be worth a lot less to me than it is.  And, I need to remember that I can do that same thing for someone else.  God knows our talents and gifts perfectly... he puts us in the exact place and time that he needs us to be in to perform that work that is perfect for us.  So today... let's be an example of the believers.  Let's touch someone's life in the way that only we can.  Let's meditate upon these things, and not neglect the gift that God has given each of us.  I *know* each of us has an amazing power of spirit, an amazing heart... an amazing depth of character.  Let's learn what it is that God wants us to do and be... and then "give [ourselves] wholly" to whatever it is.  No matter where we are, God knows the way from there to here.  Let's make a difference. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews