Sunday, October 31, 2021

Jacob 5:49-51 -- On Love and Trees

"And it came to pass that the Lord of the vineyard said unto the servant: Let us go to and hew down the trees of the vineyard and cast them into the fire, that they shall not cumber the ground of my vineyard, for I have done all. What could I have done more for my vineyard?
But, behold, the servant said unto the Lord of the vineyard: Spare it a little longer.
And the Lord said: Yea, I will spare it a little longer, for it grieveth me that I should lose the trees of my vineyard."
Jacob 5:49-51


This is part of the allegory of the tame and wild olive trees, and the idea here is that we are the trees that the Lord is taking care of. The fruit is bad, and he says that they should just burn the trees because they aren't producing anything useful, but the servant (representing Christ) answers that they should spare the vineyard a little longer. The Lord agrees, because he would rather save the trees as well.

I think the lesson here, at least from these few verses out of the overall story, is that God cares about us. He wants us to succeed, and even though we keep failing, he isn't going to do the "rational" thing and give up... he loves us, so he is going to keep trying with us as long as there is any hope at all. It's up to us to hold onto that hope as well, that God can help and save us despite our flaws... and as long as we keep trying to do better and to become what God is teaching us to become, then God will keep trying as well, doing everything he can for us.

Today, let's keep trying to learn and to make better choices, following God's path to a better self and a better world. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews