Sunday, October 3, 2021

Ether 4:8-10 -- On Contending with God

"And he that will contend against the word of the Lord, let him be accursed; and he that shall deny these things, let him be accursed; for unto them will I show no greater things, saith Jesus Christ; for I am he who speaketh.
And at my command the heavens are opened and are shut; and at my word the earth shall shake; and at my command the inhabitants thereof shall pass away, even so as by fire.
And he that believeth not my words believeth not my disciples; and if it so be that I do not speak, judge ye; for ye shall know that it is I that speaketh, at the last day."
Ether 4:8-10


In our lives I think we often fall into the trap of thinking that it is all about us, when it is really all about God (and God is all about us). The first commandment is to love God, and he is working to help us all get to the happy ending he has provided. Only he can save us from ourselves... not anything else.

When we fight against God, I feel like we're operating under a fundamental misunderstanding about what life is, and who God is. God doesn't hate us when we complain--he is willing to talk to us about anything, but just like the main character Orual in C.S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces, our complaint to the Gods isn't about them, but rather about us.

God made all of this to save us, and the biggest obstacle to that salvation is that we trust ourselves more than we trust God. Today, let's step back and look at whether we are contending with God's word, or denying, or beliving not... and if so, let's try something different and really try letting go of our need to control things as much as we can. The more we trust God to direct our lives, the more he can help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews