Friday, May 3, 2002

Ether 4:12

"And whatsoever persuadeth men to do good is of me: for good cometh of none save it be of me, I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me--that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me.  For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world."
Ether 4:12


There is so much in this scripture that I could talk about it for days I think. :)  I got to it because I was looking up a cross reference to when Christ told the young rich man that only one was good, and that was his father... interesting to think about a sole source of good. :)  and then there is the belief thing... if you won't believe Christ's words, then really, is there any other way to convince you?  And then "I am the Father" ... without even touching the Nicene creed, it is still mind-boggling to consider the kind of unity that Christ and the Father have.  Isn't it interesting that Christ says that he is the life, light, and truth of the world?  What do those things have in common?  How are they different?  I wonder.  Truth is what intrigues me the most today.  If Christ is truth... and there are other scriptures that relate here... light and truth forsake the evil one, light grows brighter and brighter until the perfect day... but if he is, and we are to follow him, then we must be made of truth in some way as well... or so it seems to me. :)  And if we are made of truth in some way, then do we harm ourselves in some way when we partake of deceit?  When we lie to ourselves, then are we basically in the process of losing who we are?  And how would life change if we were all utterly honest in all that we did (beyond the surface of tactfulness, because if we were honest about ourselves, would we need tact anyway?)... how would things change?  Several things pop into my mind immediately, mostly about other people being honest with me... but it is interesting to think about how my life would be different if I were perfectly honest and open with the people around me, and then ... do we know enough about ourselves and about life to know what the real truth is?  At least for me, I think that I seldom do.  Something I perceive as truth one day turns out to be wrong the next.  I still have a lot to learn.  Fortunately, this scripture gives me a broad hint about where to go to find more truth... and since God is the only consistent thing I can think of right now, that sounds like a good option. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews