Sunday, May 5, 2002

Luke 4:18

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised."
Luke 4:18


This is interesting.  Today I taught my CTR class about Christ being able to heal people, and so I guess the healing aspect jumps out at me... and is different than most healing scriptures.  Here, the healing seems not to be for a physical injury, but for emotional injury.  I like that both matter to God, and that both can be healed. :)  It seems interesting to me also the focus of some of the other things.  Preaching the gospel to the poor, for example.  Perhaps because that is how they can be made rich?  And is God's idea of who is poor completely different from ours? :)  It seems interesting that deliverance is for the captives... again, physically, or perhaps prisoners of addictions?  Do we captive ourselves sometimes?  Is he speaking only of the physically blind?  And setting at liberty them that are bruised... very interesting, in both a physical and a spiritual way.  Can't exactly picture someone being spiritually bruised, but I think I have felt it before.  Comparing deliverance and setting at liberty, what are the differences there, and why is one directed to the captives, and one directed to the bruised? :)  Perhaps we raise walls for different reasons.  Anyway, just a thought-provoking scripture today, and I thought I would share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews