Sunday, June 25, 2000

Doctrine and Covenants 122:7-8

"And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.
The Son of Man hath descended below them all.  Art thou greater than he?"
Doctrine and Covenants 122:7-8


So the fundamental message of this scripture (another one that I need pretty badly) is "stop whining."  What else is there to say? …but you know me.
I think it helps to put things in some sort of perspective.  I mean, no matter how bad it is right now, it isn't like a horror movie where the trees are trying to eat you and the earth is trying to swallow you up, right?  (Right.  Don’t get melodramatic on me here.)  Christ really suffered everything that we will ever suffer.  We can never say that no-one understands, because he always does.  And, he can help.

1 comment:

  1. Vs 8 has troubled me for a very long time. I have wondered if God was taunting Joseph or if He was perhaps making light of Joseph's suffering. I know that is out of character for the God we believe in but that is how I feel about it.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews