Saturday, January 15, 2000

Alma 32:28

"Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if you do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves--it must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me."
Alma 32:28


This whole chapter is amazing, but one verse will have to do. :) Verse 35 talks about tasting light... yumm. :) as opposed to all of those scriptures that talk about drinking damnation... I’ll bet light tastes better. but anyway... this verse. when I was on my mission we were talking to this guy named Bob... we tracted into his house and talked to him a little. offered him a book of Mormon. he said no, because he couldn't read that weird old English stuff... and to illustrate, he took the book of Mormon out of my hand and opened up to the page where this scripture is, and started to read... "exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe..." and went on to this scripture. after reading most of the page, he kept the book. :) I think that story, and this verse... show the power of the word. If you just give it a chance, open the book... try to have a slightly open mind... the word of God is powerful, and can change you, enlarge your soul... enlighten (fill with light... see verse 42 for more on being "filled," if you want) our understandings... and the light and the word and the whole idea and plan of God laid out before you *is* delicious... is amazingly tasty... if you just give it a chance. :) I think that we probably all know that... but I know that I need a reminder every once in a while. I start slacking on the scriptures, or only glance at them... and I start losing the vision. :) or the taste... :) so, try it... the power of the word is addicting. and, even if you go in with a bad attitude... maybe you'll be like Bob, and want to keep it up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews