Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Mormon 8:5 -- On Finishing The Work

"Behold, my father hath made this record, and he hath written the intent thereof. And behold, I would write it also if I had room upon the plates, but I have not; and ore I have none, for I am alone. My father hath been slain in battle, and all my kinsfolk, and I have not friends nor whither to go; and how long the Lord will suffer that I may live I know not."
Mormon 8:5


This is Moroni speaking, after the destruction of the Nephite nation.  And although hopefully we've never been in that exact situation, I think that we can all relate to that sense of isolation and loss that Moroni is feeling, not just about his people but personally about his father, as he tries to fulfil the responsibility that Mormon gave him to finish the record.

What is there to learn from this?  Well, I was thinking about that, and I think one thing is that God has a work for us to do, even when we feel utterly crushed and like we can't function... and I also thing that doing that work that God gives us helps us by giving us direction and purpose and hope for the future.

I think it is also about recordkeeping as well, whether it is keeping a journal or doing family history, or something more ambitious like this.  That connection of the past and the present is a real connection, and reading about those people who came before us can teach us a lot about how to live even though they lived in that lost time before bendy straws. :)

Today, let's honor that connection that we feel with Moroni and let's read and learn and find out what he has to say and how he was directed by the Lord.  And let's learn from the record of his people, and try not to repeat their mistakes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews