Monday, May 19, 2008

John 14:21

"He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him."
John 14:21


I think this is interesting... it is so easy for us to say that we love God, and think of it as a simple emotion. ... Same with anyone else, really.  If we say that we love someone, but don't act that way, then what good does that emotion do anyone?   It is an easy word to assume that we know a lot about... but love isn't just a feeling, and with God, as with other relationships, it requires a lot more effort than just the feeling.  Here, God tells us how he can tell if someone truly loves him... that person will not only listen, but take action.  In earthly relationships it is a little scary to hear "if you love me you'll do what I say," but we have to be careful to not assume fallible qualities with God.  With him, it is appropriate. :) If we really love God, and understand our relationship with him, we know that he wants what is best for us.  He isn't a fallible being who will hurt us or lead us astray.   If we keep his commandments, our lives will only get better.  I like the very first part as well... we need to have his commandments as well.  Do we know what they are? ... And at the end of the verse, the rewards are great as well.  As we love Christ, we will be loved of the Father and Christ, and Christ will manifest himself to us. ... That is a huge blessing, and one that we can look forward to as we learn to live the commandments.  Inspiration, revelation, and so much more will come to us as we work on understanding and showing our love for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews