Friday, May 9, 2008

Colossians 3:8-10

"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."
Colossians 3:8-10


This chapter is so great.  I have verses 2-3 up on the wall in my room, and I keep coming back to it lately.  There is so much here to talk about.  I guess that is the way of the scriptures though... they just pull you in and make you think. :)
I like the old man/new man thing here.  Paul is talking about people who are already in the church, so it isn't just about conversion from outside to inside the gospel.  It's about conversion from one version of yourself to another... kind of like Software.  Maybe right now I am Suzanne version 4.8, but no matter what version any of us are, Paul urges us to go forward and become new.  Whatever I am as I sit at this desk typing away, when I get up to leave to go to work, I want to be that new person that Paul talks about here.  Someone who never lies to others because it is convenient, someone who isn't angry, who doesn't have malice towards others, who doesn't say cruel things, ever.  Suzanne, version 5. ... We're renewed in knowledge *because* of Paul's reminder to us... to become new.  To do the things that we know we should. ... And yeah, no one is saying it isn't hard.  Someone who knew us back in the 2.0 days will probably expect a lot less of us, and it will be easy to fall back into old habits and our new software will seem buggy and threaten to crash... but guess what?  We're not Microsoft products.  We're GOD products.  We don't have to crash... we can overcome the obstacles, and become new.  Eventually, we'll become so new and cool and shiny, that we'll be ready to run on the Celestial OS. :) ... I know, I know.  Taking the analogy too far.  But you get me, right? ... We can do it.  Today, let's work on being that new person. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews