Wednesday, June 12, 2002

Doctrine and Covenants 19:26

"And again, I command thee that thou shalt not covet thine own property, but impart it freely to the printing of the Book of Mormon, which contains the truth and the word of God."
Doctrine and Covenants 19:26


Interesting.  I don't think that I have every really thought about coveting my own property... although I think that I do sometimes.  A couple of months before I moved to Colorado a guy that I know was over at my apartment and saw one of my CDs that he liked, and he asked if he could have it.  What jumped immediately into my mind was NOT the scripture about giving to those that ask thee, but "NO!" ... I loved that CD and I didn't want to give it up.  And although I still love that CD, and want to own it, I wonder if, in a way, I was coveting my own property. :)  Maybe I shouldn't get quite so attached. :)  In the end, we should be willing to give up anything that we have for the gospel... and if anything, including my CD, has the power to hold us back from that total commitment, then we have a problem.  The CD is a small example, but I think that I have bigger things in my life that I am not willing to let go of as well... and as long as my gut reaction remains "NO!" when God asks me to give things up, then I am not going to get where I need to go.  I need to start thinking and trying to figure out why I should do it rather than rejecting the request out of hand... actually considering both sides is a good thing to do when making a decision. :)  Anyway, I thought this idea of coveting your own stuff was interesting.  Hopefully we can let go of those all-important CDs in our lives and let other people enjoy the music. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews