Monday, June 3, 2002

John 14:9

"Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet thou hast not known me, Philip?  he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?"
John 14:9


Every once in a while you see a good relationship that works so well that the two people seem like they have the same mind. :)  You never have to second guess or wonder what the other one would say... you just know, when one of them says something, that they are both committed.  They are in tune like that.  You never find one trying to usurp the other, and you never hear them talking bad about one another.  I think those kinds of relationships are remarkable.  The closest I think that I have come is with a couple of my mission companions... I knew that if someone asked a question, we would come out with the same answers, and even the same explanation. :)  It didn't matter which one of us was speaking.  Even on a mission, when the topic is narrow, that is rare.  I'd like to have a relationship like that someday that lasts longer than a few months. :)  I'm sure that the relationship that Heavenly Father and Jesus have is probably better than what I have seen in the best relationships, but that is as close as I can come to imagining it.  I think that is what Christ was explaining in some ways here.  He was saying to Peter that He and God are so similar that it doesn't matter which one you talk to... you'll get the same answer.  You'll get the same answers to prayers no matter where you are praying from, and the scriptures will still be true. :)  Another thing that this verse seems to be saying is that often, when we know someone really well, we also get to know what they love and care about.  One of my best friends loves National Parks, and although I didn't have a particular affinity for them in particular before I knew her, because of that relationship I know a lot more about them and have grown to love them myself.  Not a perfect example, but there are a lot of things that we learn about and learn to love because other people care about them and bring them to our attention.  In this case, the thing that Jesus loved more than anything else was his Father.  He lived for him, he died for him, and everything that he said or did was at his direction.  If Philip had been around Christ very long, then he would have known the Father... just by being there and hearing about him, and seeing the love that Jesus had for him.  I hope that the people around us can know God that well, by seeing the love that we have for him.  Wouldn't that be amazing? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews