Monday, April 3, 2000

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."
1 Corinthians 6:19-20


I was watching conference yesterday and I think that it gets overwhelming at times to think about how many things I’m not doing or choosing right, and that there is so much work to be done, just in my own life... let alone trying to affect the lives of other people positively. 
But then I think of going to work, and I have no reservations about attacking the impossible... because that is what they pay me to do.  And if I can't get it done alone, then I tell them I need more money or more people on the project, and they either do it or they don't, but it isn't my deal... I tried, I did my best.
And so, I guess I have thought about this scripture in a lot of different ways, and really... it does say a lot about a lot of things... but this time, I am thinking about it in terms of whose work I am doing.  It isn't mine.  I shouldn't get so freaked out about how far I have to go... we're working on God's timetable, and if he wants me to go faster, he'll give me the resources to go faster.  I think what he really wants is just for me to learn, and sometimes that takes time, and a lot of attention on my part... to get it.  But God is willing to spend that time with me, and I am grateful for that.
Anyway, the application to the scripture might seem a little obscure still, so let's address it... God tells us that we are temples of the Holy Ghost, and that we aren't our own, we are bought with a price.  So, that seems to me like all the stories of the plant that wanted to be amazing, but God kept pruning it, and instead of being amazing just in growing as big as it could get, it became a tree and produced fruit... it was amazing, just in a way that it couldn't initially see.  Christ's redemption saved me from my own small viewpoint and ambitions... and to become the great person that God shows me that I can be... that isn't my work, it is his.  He's going to do it, He has the power to do it.  I just have to grow, and trust him.  Let go of my vision when it conflicts with the vision of someone who can see so much more than I can.  His redemption purchased in a sense the chance for us to be greater than we are... so we glorify God in working to fulfill that, doing what we can, and knowing that God will do the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews