Sunday, February 6, 2000

Doctrine and Covenants 112:10

"Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers."
Doctrine and Covenants 112:10


A lot of times I think I have a problem with humility.  At work, I would second-guess my boss all the time... second guess the teachers of all of my courses... basically any authority figure... I think that it gives me some perverse pleasure when I can be smarter than whoever is in charge.  Unfortunately, I think I do this with God as well sometimes... thinking that I know a lot better than he does what is good for me, or what is good for the people around me.  But I don't.  As with any close relationship, vulnerability, risk, honesty... they are all key ingredients.  If we can be humble enough to listen to God when he speaks to us... if we can be humble enough to accept the answers that he gives, even when we don't understand them completely... if we can be humble enough to accept that someone knows us better than we know ourselves... then we remove the resistance between God and ourselves.  The problem is never on his side... he always talks to us, he always has his hand stretched out to lead us... it's we that need to realize that he has a greater perspective, and can see through the darkness that surrounds us at times, when we cannot.  God answers our prayers, God sends his spirit... God offers us his peace and his love.  We have to be humble enough to follow where he leads... to hear when he talks to us.  it isn't always easy.  sometimes he speaks to me through those authority-figures that I enjoy arguing with... sometimes he tells me things that I don't particularly want to hear... but he is always there, ready when we choose to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews