Saturday, February 19, 2000

Alma 5:26

"And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?"
Alma 5:26


This is one of my favorite scriptures.  I have a question mark ring that says "Alma 5:14" inside of the band, but I actually think of this scripture instead.  To me, it isn't whether I have experienced the change of heart... but whether I can feel that same way throughout my life.  and the things is, I think that we have all felt it at one time or another.  there are these defining moments in your life ... I know that I have had a few of them.  where the reality of God is absolutely unquestioned, but you know you still have the choice to embrace the truth or walk away... and that he is right there, watching you make the choice.  Then we forget, or try to block it out... and God reminds us of his reality again.  Brief moments where the clarity is high... where we can see the consequences of our actions down the line, or we can almost taste heaven, and know that the earthly things we want so badly seem like stepping in dog crap compared to just the hint of things to come.
and it's tough sometimes, no denying it... especially *between* those defining moments, where you can't feel the reality of it as strongly... and sometimes we try to block out the reality of it and try to believe that our mansions built on the sand will stand, or that we *want* the dog crap so badly that it's worth giving up the things that we try not to think about.  I do it... way too often.  so here is the challenge of life... to remember why we are on earth, to remember who we are, what we can be... and to not go the underachiever route, to not listen to Satan and think that it is too hard, but to accept Christ's invitation to life... who rewards us with memories and tastes of who we were before this life... who blesses us with the desires of our hearts, and FILLS us with his love and his spirit... who helps us to carry our burdens.  Who never lies to us and tells us that we have no responsibility to learn... but teaches us constantly, and helps us to be better than we are.  Satan’s promises, as beautiful as they seem, always end up being twisted versions of the truth... end up being one of god's truths, plus a little dog crap... or just evaporate into emptiness.  Christ's promises have substance, have eternal consistency and solidity... ring true within our hearts and souls... if we only listen, we will feel to sing the song of redeeming love again today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews