Thursday, March 4, 2021

Ether 2:24 -- On Crossing the Great Deep

"For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth.
And behold, I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come. Therefore what will ye that I should prepare for you that ye may have light when ye are swallowed up in the depths of the sea?"
Ether 2:24


This is part of a conversation between the Lord and the Brother of Jared, and there are a ton of really cool things in this story, but this verse struck me today because, even though I know it is talking about them traveling in their barges, it seemed like a larger symbolic message.

Aren't our lives often like crossing the great deep?  We frequently just have no idea where we're going... not saying that planning things out isn't a good idea, but nothing ever sticks to the plan entirely.  Those mountain waves are going to "dash" us when we don't expect it, and we can't see where they are going to take us... but God can see those patterns, and he can help us and prepare us against these things.

Today, let's stick with God who can help us through even when we're utterly lost, and give us light and hope even when we're swallowed up in the depths the sea. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews