Friday, May 22, 2020

Ether 2:18-19 -- On Obedience and Inquiry

"And it came to pass that the brother of Jared cried unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, I have performed the work which thou hast commanded me, and I have made the barges according as thou hast directed me.
And behold, O Lord, in them there is no light; whither shall we steer? And also we shall perish, for in them we cannot breathe, save it is the air which is in them; therefore we shall perish."
Ether 2:18-19


I really like these verses because the brother of Jared was so amazing.  I think if this happened to me, I would go over the instructions again, sure that I did something wrong.  I might be tempted to give up because I tried and it didn't work.  I would probably start panicking.  But the brother of Jared just goes to the Lord like this is all normal and says, okay, I did that part, but I have questions. :)  He shows us that it is okay to ask questions, and that it isn't the same as doubting... he had amazing faith; he just didn't understand the next part, and when working with God he took that as normal.

I think this also helps us understand that the Lord's directions in our lives aren't the complete package of everything we should ever do... they are the next step, and a way to progress, but those instructions are never just finished and over.  We have to keep communing with God, and as we do, we learn more, and we learn enough to take another step.

Today, let's be like the Brother of Jared.  Let's do as the Lord asks, and then let's ask questions about what we don't yet understand. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews