Saturday, May 2, 2020

Doctrine and Covenants 39:8-10 -- On Opportunity and Deliverance

"And verily I say unto thee, thine heart is now right before me at this time; and, behold, I have bestowed great blessings upon thy head;
Nevertheless, thou hast seen great sorrow, for thou hast rejected me many times because of pride and the cares of the world.
But, behold, the days of thy deliverance are come, if thou wilt hearken to my voice, which saith unto thee: Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on my name, and you shall receive my Spirit, and a blessing so great as you never have known."
Doctrine and Covenants 39:8-10


Even though this scripture was written for someone else specific, it seems like it is also speaking to us all.  Nephi said that he "did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning" (1 Nephi 19:23), so maybe we can learn from this one if we apply it to ourselves. :)

I think the overall message of the selection is opportunity and deliverance.  It talks about a rocky past when we have rejected God, but a hopeful future because our hearts are in the right place now, and if we move forward, we'll receive the Spirit and "a blessing to great as you never have known," which sounds pretty amazing. :)

Today, let's think about our hearts and our relationship with God and make sure that they are in the right place.  Let's repent and commit to God, and call on his name.  As we do, greater blessings than we have ever known will come to us.  Not necessarily monetary/physical ones, mind you... but let's be open to God's definition on that.  I think he will surprise us in a good way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews