Monday, September 16, 2019

Psalms 25:4-8 -- On Yearning to Learn

"Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths.
Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.
Remember, O Lord, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old.
Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness’ sake, O Lord.
Good and upright is the Lord: therefore will he teach sinners in the way."
Psalms 25:4-8


This is beautiful... not necessarily the description of anything, but the idea.  This is that childlike humility that we sometimes look for, expressed in a prayer to God, to help us learn, to lead us, to remember mercy and to not remember our past mistakes, and please, please to remember us in mercy, and to teach us despite the fact that we are still sinners.  It's a good prayer, a good song... a beautiful expression of what we all desperately need, even though sometimes we're too proud to say so.

Today, let's think about all the ways that we need the Lord in our lives... all the things that we would prefer that he overlook from our pasts, and our desire to learn from him despite our current sins.  We don't need to pray this particular prayer, but perhaps it can be a help to us in constructing our own--telling God what we desperately need help with in order to be a better person, and a plea for his guidance and help as we strive to improve.  Let's reach and stretch and learn to become more like God, and not more hardened and resistant like the world around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews