Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Alma 10:5-6 -- On Hearing and Knowing

"Nevertheless, after all this, I never have known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power. I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake, for I have seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power; yea, even in the preservation of the lives of this people.
Nevertheless, I did harden my heart, for I was called many times and I would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on rebelling against God, in the wickedness of my heart, even until the fourth day of this seventh month, which is in the tenth year of the reign of the judges."
Alma 10:5-6


This is Amulek speaking, and I think that his story is a familiar one.  We use ignorance as an excuse a lot when it comes to God, but we know a lot more than we realize.  The idea of refusing to hear is not the way we think about it, perhaps, but it's the same basic truth even if we put it in nicer terms, like allowing our fear of responsibility to block out the voice of God in our lives.

Today, let's pay more attention to what God is teaching us every hour of our lives.  Let's stop refusing to know things that we know, and let's hear and see the things around us as well.  It's scary, but also amazing and empowering to admit God into our lives and to recognize his hand and his voice in our lives.  Let's take the next step, as Amulek did, and after we learn to stop rebelling, maybe we can learn to take some good advice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews