Thursday, September 26, 2019

Moses 1:6-8 -- On God Showing Moses Just One Thing

"And I have a work for thee, Moses, my son; and thou art in the similitude of mine Only Begotten; and mine Only Begotten is and shall be the Savior, for he is full of grace and truth; but there is no God beside me, and all things are present with me, for I know them all.
And now, behold, this one thing I show unto thee, Moses, my son, for thou art in the world, and now I show it unto thee.
And it came to pass that Moses looked, and beheld the world upon which he was created; and Moses beheld the world and the ends thereof, and all the children of men which are, and which were created; of the same he greatly marveled and wondered."
Moses 1:6-8


This is great stuff, all of it, but my favorite part is when God says to Moses in the second verse of the selection "this one thing I show unto thee."  After that, God shows Moses the entire world and it sounds like the whole history of it, with everyone who will ever live.  And all of that, which is practically everything to us, was just one thing to God.

I think it is a good reminder that God's ways and thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:9).  We so often think that we can outdo God--that our reasoning can catch him in a mistake or an error, or that we could do better or something equally inconceivable (as in truly unimaginable, not in a Princess Bride way).

Today, let's remember that the entire world and everything we know is just one thing to God, and that we aren't going to outthink or outdo him. Let's try and allow ourselves to admit that God's thoughts and ways and plans are higher than and superior to ours, and get that tiniest bit of humility, so that we can approach God with the right attitude, asking for his help because we all need it, and he is the source of wisdom that we just can't yet comprehend.  ... And so that we can begin to understand his love for us, his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews