Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Psalms 40:11-13 -- On Being Overwhelmed and God's Deliverance

"Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O Lord: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.
For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me: O Lord, make haste to help me."
Psalms 40:11-13


Sometimes life is overwhelming like this.  It can happen from one day to the next, where you are fine but the next day you just aren't.  Whether it is some external evil or our own iniquity, or both (as seems to be the case in these verses), sometimes life just feels unmanageable.  And in those times especially, we need the Lord.

Things are going to be okay, and we are going to make it through.  The happy ending is waiting for us.  In order to believe that and really trust in it, though, we need to have faith in the power that makes it happen, and that is God.  I like the idea that his lovingkindness and truth preserve us.  The atonement of Jesus Christ makes it possible for all of us to escape from the evil around us and also from our own sins.  He is the source of our escape, and our hope for the future.

Today, let's trust in God and look to him for our help.  Let's put him first in our lives, and know that as we do, things will work out.

1 comment:

  1. Uh-oh! Very good.
    It's all about yo transformation,just enjoy the Plan*,
    It's God's plan!. U are welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews