Saturday, September 21, 2013

Leviticus 24:20-22

"Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.
And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death.
Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the Lord your God."
Leviticus 24:20-22


I guess I've always thought of the Old Testament as somewhat barbaric.  I know that as a world and as a society we've had to learn a lot over the years, but things often seemed a lot harsher as I was reading the Old Testament.  And maybe they were in some ways... but today what struck me is how similar this is to God talking about judgment day.  That everything will be restored.  And the flip side to "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" has been there all along.  Everything that we've ever done, or purposely omitted, is *meant* to come back to us.  What else could perfect justice be?  And with good things, that's wonderful, and will be so joyful.  But with bad things the only thing that holds back that justice... that perfectly right justice... is Christ.
So, today, I'm really thankful for the opportunity that I have to repent.  To not have everything that I have ever done brought back to me and answered upon my head.  And it isn't that I don't deserve it.  That's the point.  By justice, I absolutely DO deserve it.  But because of Christ, I can repent, and I can become a better person... and have hope that my better actions will be returned to me instead.  Because, through Christ's infinite mercy, I have that chance to start again, and learn kindness and mercy and love... and whatever else I would prefer to have answered on my head.
Today, let's all take advantage of the opportunity Christ gives us to be saved from our own actions... and let's learn, and change, and repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews