Saturday, May 6, 2000

Doctrine and Covenants 61:36-39

"And now, verily I say unto you, and what I say unto one I say unto all, be of good cheer, little children; for I am in your midst, and I have not forsaken you;
And inasmuch as you have humbled yourselves before me, the blessings of the kingdom are yours.
Gird up your loins and be watchful and be sober, looking forth for the coming of the Son of Man, for he cometh in an hour you think not.
Pray always that you enter not into temptation, that you may abide the day of his coming, whether in life or in death.  Even so.  Amen."
Doctrine and Covenants 61:36-39


This is cool... God reminds us that we are little children, which is always good for a dose of humility and some nostalgia. :)  First he reminds us that he is always close enough to touch, if we choose to do so... and that he won't leave us alone.  How amazing is that?  I hate doing things alone... but maybe if I just remember that God is around and that I can always talk to him, it will be better. :)
Then we are reminded to be humble... and have a discussion about the coming of the Son of Man.  You know, I was thinking about this, and I think that the whole Second Coming thing freaks me out sometimes... I don't know if I really want to witness mass destruction and all that stuff.  But then, God never gives us anything we can't handle, right? :)  I just don't know if I *want* to handle it.  Anyway... if the scripture says (and it does) "inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren ye have done it unto me" ... then aren't we really dealing with the coming of the Son of Man every day of our lives?  The people at work, the people at school, the people at the grocery store... the people on the street corner, the people everywhere... how we treat them reflects directly on our relationship with Christ.  So, we need to pray not to enter into temptation... but also, just the love and perspective to see the good in people and be able to treat them well.  Let's not be those people who at the end ask the rocks to fall on top of us to hide us from God... because you know, no matter how many rocks agree to it, it won't help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews