Thursday, October 10, 2024

3 Nephi 28:3 -- On Blessings and Preferences

"And he said unto them: Blessed are ye because ye desired this thing of me; therefore, after that ye are seventy and two years old ye shall come unto me in my kingdom; and with me ye shall find rest."
3 Nephi 28:3


Reading this today I was thinking about the different choices that Christ's disciples made. I usually gloss over this first choice, moving on to the second. The three Nephites get to live forever with bodies that can't feel pain or most sorrow... they can't be held in prison, they can't be harmed by fire, they just play with the wild beasts that are supposed to kill them... they are functionally immortal and happy. Who wouldn't choose that? ... And yet, I come back to this scripture today and think about all that this means as well. Knowing how long you have to endure, and then immediately following Christ and regaining his presence. Who wouldn't want that? Both good.

Plus, honestly, I would probably choose immortality so I could read all the books, not because I wanted to go on a many-lifetimes mission. I think both of these groups had a lot purer motive, and they both found joy in what they wanted. ... And that's okay, right? We don't have to be cookie cutter followers, all wanting the exact same blessings. God loves us, and he wants to bless us with whatever will bring us the most joy. Today, let's talk to the Lord about our desires, and let his teach us and help us to have clearer motivations, more love, and joy in our individual righteous preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews