Thursday, July 13, 2023

Psalms 77:4-12 -- On Remembering Wonders

"Thou holdest mine eyes waking: I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times.
I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.
Will the Lord cast off for ever? and will he be favourable no more?
Is his mercy clean gone for ever? doth his promise fail for evermore?
Hath God forgotten to be gracious? hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah.
And I said, This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High.
I will remember the works of the Lord: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.
I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings."
Psalms 77:4-12


I think that we all have times in our lives that are very troubled, and I think that this captures a lot of that emotion. Unable to sleep, wondering if we will ever find comfort or peace again. But significantly here, rather than giving in to despair, the psalmist is determined to remember the mercy and graciousness of God, even though it seems far past.

I think that is one of the reasons why having the scriptures is such a great gift. When we are unable to reach through our sin and/or pain to find God, we can still read and know that God is there, and if we study it out and are persistent in our efforts, God will help us work through the barriers that we have placed between ourselves and God and show us that peace and comfort again.

Today, let's trust in God and whether we can feel him there or not, let's remember his "wonders of old" and know that the can be wonders again, in our lives, with time and faith and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews