Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Proverbs 30:5-6 -- On Being Found a Liar

"Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar."
Proverbs 30:5-6


It's interesting here to read about "being found a liar" like it is a surprise. Usually when we lie, we're very aware. :) What it made me think of are online wars on social media--different sides spouting opposite beliefs, both sides believing fervently that they are in the right, and in many cases both believing that they are backed by true authority, from God or whatever the different groups believe is the highest authority.

This post is definitely not to get into or further one of those arguments. :) It just made me think of that because when we are in conflict with others about our beliefs I wonder if we have considered God's perspective, or even tried to learn it. I know in my life I have gone through a process several times with different beliefs where I felt really strongly that something was 100% percent right or 100% wrong, and then over the course of years reading the scriptures and praying and thinking about how God deals with his children, my opinion has changed... and obviously I hope that my beliefs are moving closer to the truth and I think that God is slowly teaching me, or getting through my thick skull, helping me understand and relate to people I never could before, and to be open to see the other side of an issue and see that many people on both sides are really trying to do their best with whatever cards they have been dealt.

Today, maybe let's step back and instead of yelling our beliefs to the sky (and the internet), let's take some time to consider whether God feels that way as well and what he might have to say on the subject based on his life and teachings. Above all, I like the idea here that God is pure and a shield for others. I believe he would treat others with compassion, and as we ponder the differences between our beliefs and his, let's ask ourselves if we're showing compassion to others in the way we express ourselves. Let's not assume that God is on our side in our arguments, but let's put in the time, the research, and the prayer to make sure we are on his... lest we be found liars, accidentally on the wrong side.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that I am "unto His words" .... Hopefully that will keep me out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews