Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Numbers 11:11-15 -- On Turning to the Lord in our Afflictions

"And Moses said unto the Lord, Wherefore hast thou afflicted thy servant? and wherefore have I not found favour in thy sight, that thou layest the burden of all this people upon me?
Have I conceived all this people? have I begotten them, that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom, as a nursing father beareth the sucking child, unto the land which thou swarest unto their fathers?
Whence should I have flesh to give unto all this people? for they weep unto me, saying, Give us flesh, that we may eat.
I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me.
And if thou deal thus with me, kill me, I pray thee, out of hand, if I have found favour in thy sight; and let me not see my wretchedness."
Numbers 11:11-15


Some scriptures like this remind us that the prophets were human, and they had limitations and complaints, just as we often do. In this case, it was a valid concern and God helped him put other people into place to help him bear the weight of the constant complaining. (To be fair, the Israelites had been used to bondage and being provided for, and it was hard to adjust to their new life of wandering in the wilderness with the same meal every day, despite its miraculous nature. Likely very few of us deal any better with dramatic changes in our lives.)

For me the important lesson here is that we should always turn to the Lord in our afflictions, and he will help us. Maybe this is a little too dramatic of an example... for instance, I don't suggest putting out that risky "kill me now" vibe, but God absolutely does want us to be real with him and tell us what we really think and feel.

Today, let's talk to the Lord about what is going on in our lives. Not all of our complaints are going to be justified, and we might have to be patient and humble as we learn what we can and can't handle a little bit better, but God is willing to listen to and help us with all of it because he loves us. We just have to be willing to accept whatever help he gives us, whether it is immediate relief in the way we expect or a different solution that we hadn't thought of, and might not even like. God knows what he is doing, and if we trust him, then whatever he sends us will be exactly the help we need, and we'll eventually realize that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews