Sunday, July 18, 2021

Enos 1:4 -- On Hunger and Wholeness

"And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens."
Enos 1:4


I like the idea here of soul hunger. I imagine that, like physical hunger, soul hunger is the feeling of needing something that you lack. An absence where something should be. I think we all feel that spiritually sometimes, but we don't always know what it is, and so we try to fill it, or mask it, in different ways. Maybe we try with relationships or food or whatever our chosen addictions are... but the real absence in our lives is the presence of God, and that's the only thing that can satisfy that particular lack.

Enos here prays and recieves forgiveness for his sins, thus enabling him to feel God in his life without the barriers to the spirit that sin can throw up around us, and I think the idea is that his hunger was satisfied when he was able to talk to God and accomplish that. Verse 8 tells us "thy faith hath made thee whole." ... So maybe the hunger is a real lack of wholeness, and God completes us and makes us fully functional again even when we've been broken. It take faith to get to that stage.

Today, let's turn to the real source of wholeness and soul healing: God. Let's do as Enos did and pray until we can find our way back to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews