Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Psalms 42:11 -- On Disquiet and Hope

"Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God."
Psalms 42:11


This scripture struck me today because I could relate to it maybe a little too much. :)  And maybe we all have times when we feel similarly: cast down or disquieted.  Nephi also wondered something similar: "why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow?" (2 Nephi 4:26).

What I like especially about this verse is the "advice to self" part.  It starts out "hope thou in God,"  but gets even more specific, reminding himself (and us) that God is the health of the countenance... meaning that if we are upset or have any kind of negative emotion at all, God is the solution.  He can help.

I like that whole concept, because sometimes we feel stuck in a mood that we can't see a way out of, and when that happens, God will have the answer.  He'll help us know what we need to do, or say, or apologize for, or whatever, to feel okay again.

Today, let's turn to God for hope, and the resolution of whatever is disquieting our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews