Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Isaiah 42:13-14 -- On the Messiah

"The Lord shall go forth as a mighty man, he shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: he shall cry, yea, roar; he shall prevail against his enemies.
I have long time holden my peace; I have been still, and refrained myself: now will I cry like a travailing woman; I will destroy and devour at once."
Isaiah 42:13-14


This made me think about how much the injustice and cruelty and evil that exists on this earth must bother the Lord.  He steps back and allows us to make our choices, good or bad, and has to allow evil temporarily so that we can make choices between right and wrong, good and evil--actual freedom rather than guided choices, because otherwise we would have limited potential--but one day there will be an accounting, and things will be made right.

I remember one moment when I was in Jerusalem, standing on the top of the Masada plateau, talking with a friend from the company that I then worked for.  In talking with him about the history of that place and that country, I felt the very palpable need for the Lord to come and make things right, and I joined with him in wishing for the coming of the Messiah.

Maybe we aren't ready for that yet... but we probably should work on that, because eventually it needs to happen.  The idea of God crying "like a travailing woman" kind of cuts to the center of all of it... he knows the need as well, and feels it every day.  So much injustice and hatred and wrong that needs to be corrected.

Today, let's do our best to make the world a better place, lifting up the people around us and not giving up or giving in to evil.  Let's also make ready for the Messiah, who will come to make things right.  It's scary, but also essential.  He delays for our sakes... to give us time to learn and to prepare.  Let's do so. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews