Sunday, June 23, 2013

3 Nephi 28:6-7

"And he said unto them: Behold, I know your thoughts, and ye have desired the thing which John, my beloved, who was with me in my ministry, before that I was lifted up by the Jews, desired of me.
Therefore, more blessed are ye, for ye shall never taste of death; but ye shall live to behold all the doings of the Father unto the children of men, even until all things shall be fulfilled according to the will of the Father, when I shall come in my glory with the powers of heaven."
3 Nephi 28:6-7


I think about the story of the three Nephites from time to time.  Christ asked his Nephite disciples what they desired of him because he was about to leave, and nine of them asked to immediately be returned to his presence after they had reached old age and accomplished their missions. :)  Which is a cool thing.  Definitely want to hang out with God.  Seems like a great reward.  And the other three didn't want to voice what they wanted, but as noted in the verses above, Christ knew anyway.  After he grants the desires of the first nine, he says "blessed are ye."  And here, to the three, he says "more blessed are ye."  So, it seems like it is a cooler or better reward at least in some way... although of course, all of them got what they really desired.  Anyway, so I think about it sometimes and about what I would choose.  Would I take the return to God's presence, or would I take the living all the way till the Second Coming, no matter how long it was?  Most of the time I think I would go with the nine... let it be over.  But sometimes, including today, I like the idea of going with the three. :)  Of course, we have the benefit of these verses, plus the following ones that describe what their lives will be like a little.  Things like no sorrow except for the sins of the world... and above, knowing that you won't taste of death, so not worrying about being killed by people or disease.  Pretty cool stuff. :)
At the core though, it is an interesting choice, and saying one is more blessed makes me think that it is something that maybe we should work towards.  Not doing it necessarily, unless Christ offers, but wanting it.  Caring about our neighbors and about *everybody* enough that we want to live, not to finish a novel or get another degree or have more time with family... but to live longer solely in order to go on a lot more than five-year mission... to talk to people, help them, and bring them to Christ.  ... And maybe that is what a Zion society is, after all.  Knowing on the very deepest level that even random person #47 in another country is a child of God... is a part of us, and loved, and needed... and doing as much for them in terms of bringing them to Christ as you would do for your sibling, your spouse, your best friend, or your own child.  I want to be like that... to care that much.  Today, let's remember the three, and try to love others as much as they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews