Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Deuteronomy 4:39-40 -- On God and None Else

"Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the Lord he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.
Thou shalt keep therefore his statutes, and his commandments, which I command thee this day, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth, which the Lord thy God giveth thee, for ever."
Deuteronomy 4:39-40


The part of these verses that stands out to me the most is "there is none else."  I think we forget that sometimes... if not intellectually, then at least emotionally.  We allow ourselves to play with the idea of other options, or pretend that God isn't quite who he is... that he is a lot more relaxed about sinning or whatever. :)  We can lull ourselves into thinking that which religion we are doesn't really matter, or if we don't commit to God fully in this life it won't really matter... he'll understand.
And, of course, God does understand... but he understands more than that.  He understands when we are avoiding the issue, or placing other priorities before him as well.  He understands when we are justifying ourselves to try to avoid having to change or repent.
There is just one God and one plan of happiness to choose.  Although we often try to make up our own, we don't have the authority or the power to make it stick, and our petty philosophizing isn't going to change that.  If we reject God's plan, then we are by default choosing to walk away from him, and toward Satan... who loves to tell us lies and help us deceive ourselves into thinking that we can find a middle ground, or that God isn't really God... he's just like a big teddy bear grandpa who will accept anything we choose to do, and let us have our way.  No real consequences, no worries.
But there is a God, and if we want to become like him and participate in his plan which offers us all that he has, then it's a little harder than that.  We have to actually work, and try, and sacrifice, and build a relationship with him, and learn to be sensitive to the spirit.  Not because God hates who we are, but because he knows that we need to change in order to get better and to reach our potential.  If we stay the way we are and put little effort into it, then we'll get that kind of a reward.  And if we throw ourselves into it and do everything we can for God, then we'll get that kind of a reward.  Today, let's keep God's statutes and commandments.  Let's choose God, and stop trying to find some other alternative.

3 comments:

  1. When I read verse 39 the words that hit me were also 'there is no other'. I often struggle with other religions and think that they may be somehow OK but this verse makes it clear that there is only one God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne,I have asked God for for years to allow my grandchlid to speak,and help bring that special someone into my life. I relied on HIM,and had faith that HE would. That was 20 years ago. I did what I could,but HE never came through for me in this area. Fantasy is not a real relationship. I used to think that now I haven't a clue. I think I'll pass on the above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you feel that way. I am reminded of Paul in the Bible, who asked many times to be relieved of his thorn in the flesh, but it never was. He realized that it was something that he had to learn to deal with and learn from. It wasn't easy, but he learned to joy in his afflictions, because he saw how they were changing him into a better person. I feel that same testimony in my life as well.

    I might never have the blessing of marriage and family in my life, and I have relatives who suffer pain, challenges, and even have even suffered death despite having good relationships with God. We all have gigantic challenges in our lives. God doesn't want us to suffer, but his plan doesn't always turn out the way we want it to be short-term. The happy ending is promised, but it is only promised in the very long term, if we develop that relationship with him, keep learning, and endure to the end.

    It definitely isn't always easy, and I am sorry for your suffering. God is not a fantasy. He loves us and he will help us endure our challenges, as we turn to him in faith.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews