Saturday, September 20, 2008

1 Nephi 15:23-24 -- On the Rod of Iron

"And they said unto me: What meaneth the rod of iron which our father saw, that led to the tree?
And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction."
1 Nephi 15:23-24


I really like the ask-answer thing here.  I mean, talk about *clear* symbolism.  We don't have to read Lehi's dream and guess what it means (although I love that sort of thing). bWe read this, and we know.  And I think that it also teaches us about other dreams and visions and that we need to look for the symbolism sometimes.

I also really like what it tells us here.  If we hold fast to the rod, Satan can't get us.  The temptations will still come, of course, but we'll be okay.  It shows us the way to stand firm and withstand temptation.  That is a pretty great thing.  The "never perish" part is probably being symbolic of spiritual death, but hey, if we get translated, that's okay too. :)

Today, let's cling to the rod by holding fast to the word of God.  Let's make sure we give God some room in our lives.  Let's read his word, ponder it, and stick to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews