Monday, November 5, 2001

Philippians 3:8

"Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ."
Philippians 3:8


The whole chapter is fascinating.  I recommend it.  Anyhow, I chose this scripture today because the past couple of days have been, at least for me, ones in which I have been thinking about winning and losing. :)  The Diamondbacks (the baseball team here in Arizona) won the World Series last night, and then, today, my favorite football team lost to its biggest rival.  Other wins and losses as well, job-wise, friend-wise... but now, thinking about it in terms of Christ... what greater win could there be in life, then to win the chance to stand with Christ, and to be found in him (as the next verse says)?  Whatever our wins or losses in our daily lives, the one that matters more than any other is whether we win Christ.  As it says in the scripture, the loss of all things is more than made up for by that one win.  Until we gain that perspective, we will never know the true value of any moment of our lives.  We spend money and time and resources and lifetimes pursuing things that are of no worth, when the real prize is before us, waiting to be admitted to our thoughts and hearts.  We worry so much about things that slip in and out of our lives, and we don't value enough the one and only truly consistent thing... God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews